13 People Arrested During “Not My Presidents Day” Protests in Portland
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
GoLocalPDX News Team
|The seven adults that were arrested Monday in Portland|
The first event, starting at approximately 11:00 a.m., took place in the area of Southwest 3rd Avenue and Madison Street, across from the Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building. The event organizers did not obtain any permit for a road closure or street use and several participants stood in the street and blocked traffic. Officers on bicycles and on foot attempted to maintain order but required assistance from Rapid Response Team (RRT) officers.
After lawful instructions were given by police to clear the roadway, officers did make several arrests in the area, as well as subsequent areas of Downtown Portland after an unpermitted street march involved dozens of people. During the march, officers had limited deployments of pepper spray and less-than-lethal munitions in response to actions of some protesters.
A total of 13 people were arrested in connection with the first event, seven adults and six juveniles. All 13 people received a traffic citation for violation of Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.535 (Failing to Obey a Police Officer). All adults also received additional criminal criminal citations and booked into the Multnomah County Jail.
A second event started at 12:00 p.m. at Director Park, located at 815 Southwest Park Street. The event organizers obtained a permit to have a street march and were escorted on a route through Southwest Downtown Portland, returning to Director Park at approximately 1:00 p.m. There were no arrests or problems reported during this second event.
The following people were arrested on 3rd avenue and Madison Street:
* 66-year-old Margaret Ann Zebroski was arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.
* 42-year-old Heather Grace White was arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.
* 31-year-old David Johnathan Carlson was arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.
* 38-year-old Charles Ernest Stubbs was arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.
* 37-year-old John Doe (booked as Quanice Hayes) was arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree, Resist Arrest and Furnishing False Information to Police.
* Two 16-year-old females and a 17-year-old female received traffic citations.
Arrested at Southwest 6th Avenue and Salmon Street:
* 34-year-old Lucy Elizabeth Smith was arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.
* 33-year-old Rebecca Smith-White was arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.
* 14, 16 and 17 year old males received traffic citations.